Company No. 4157913
50 High East Street, Dorchester, Dorset DT1 1HU, England
Tel:- +44 (0) 1305 267110
Browse our site by clicking on the Department you require to view.
Bronte Porcelain was founded in 1996 by a committed group of artists,craftspeople and skilled technicians.
Every item produced is made entirely by hand within their studio in Malvern, Worcestershire, England
Our shop is open from 10.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
We are closed Sundays, Mondays
and UK Bank Holidays(Public Holidays).
If traveling any distance please telephone or e-mail first to confirm that we will be open.
About Box of Porcelain Limited
Box of Porcelain is a family business established by Susan and Robert Lunn in 1992. Our aim was to provide quality collectable products produced by some of Europe's most well known and well established companies. As some of those companies sadly fell in to receivership and subsequently were taken over by other companies we followed the quality production. In some cases this was the reincarnated original company and in others new companies using the people and skills from the old concerns.
We give below a brief history of some of our main suppliers:-
William Duesbury I and II - In 1745 André Planché, a Huguenot an immigrant from Saxony , settled in Derby, where between 1747 and 1755 he made soft-paste porcelain vases and figurines. At the beginning of 1756 he formed a business partnership with William Duesbury (1725 - 1786), a porcelain painter formerly at Chelsea porcelain factory and Longton Hall, and the banker John Heath. This was the foundation of the Derby company.
In 1773, Duesbury's hard work was rewarded by King George III, who after visiting the Derby works granted him permission to incorporate the royal crown into the Derby backstamp, after which the company was known as Crown Derby.
Osmaston Road - In 1877, an impressive new factory was built by new owners of the Crown Derby name in Osmaston Road, Derby, thus beginning the modern period of Derby porcelain.
Royal Crown Derby - In 1890, Queen Victoria appointed Crown Derby to be "Manufacturers of porcelain to Her Majesty" and by Royal Warrant granted them the title "The Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Company".
Allied Potteries - In 1964, the company was acquired by S. Pearson and Son and became part of the Allied English Potteries Group, later to be joined by Royal Doulton
In 2000, Hugh Gibson, a former director of Royal Doulton and a member of the Pearson family, led a buy-out, making Royal Crown Derby once again an independent and privately-owned concern.
With the retirement of long time owner Hugh Gibson, Royal Crown Derby enters an exciting new phase in it's illustrious history by being acquired in 2013 by Steelite International. The company remains firmly committed to the highest quality UK manufacture.
Royal Worcester - History
Royal Worcester is believed to be the oldest (or second oldest) remaining English porcelain brand still in existence today (disputed by Royal Crown Derby 1750 year of establishment). Dr Wall established the Worcester factory in 1751. In 1783 the factory was purchased by Thomas Flight. In 1788 George III granted a royal warrant and the factory became The Royal Porcelain Works. The factory continued untill the 20th centuryand in 1976 merged with Spode. In 2008 the company went into administration and in 2009 the brand name and intellectual property were acquired by Portmeirion Pottery Group .
Spode - History
Josiah Spode is one of the greatest names of the Industrial Revolution. After several years working for other local potters, he established his own company in 1776, concentrating on the production of ceramic wares of the finest quality in a variety of bodies. In 1833 William Taylor Copeland, William Copeland's son, acquired the business in partnership with a Thomas Garrett until 1847 and the factory's productions from this period were marked ‘Copeland and Garrett'. In 1846, William Taylor Copeland acquired the company outright and he and four generations of his descendants controlled the company until 1966. From 1966, the company underwent a number of changes of ownership, during which the business was merged with Royal Worcester. In 2008 the company went into administrationand in April 2009 the Spode brand was acquired by Portmeirion Group PLC,
Moorcroft Pottery - History
Originally founded as a studio in 1897 within a large ceramic company. James Macintyre & Co. Moorcroft pottery soon made its mark on the world. Designs came from 24 year old William Moorcroft who personalizedeach piece of pottery produced with his own signature or initials. This did little for James Mcintyre's name and reputation, and in 1913 the inevitable split occurred. William marched his workforce across Co bridgePark to a new factory in Sand bachRoad where Moorcroft pottery is still made today. Moorcroft seldom prospered. Finally, in 1984, the family sold the bulk of their shares on the open market. After several material shareholder changes in the mid-1980's controlwas acquiredby business partners Hugh Edwards and Richard Dennis. In 1992 Dennis and his pottery designer wife, Sally Tuffin , left the company, leaving the Edwards family as sole owners
Dennis Chinaworks - History
Dennis Chinaworks was founded in 1993 by Sally and Richard Dennis, the pottery is run from the converted stables of a Victorian Gothic rectory in Shepton Beauchamp, Somerset.
After graduating from the Royal College of Art Fashion School, Sally, with her college friend Marion Foale established Foale & Tuffin, a London fashion house, synonymous with the swinging 60's. Following her marriage and rearing two children, Sally returned to design as Art Director of the Moorcroft Pottery from 1986-1993. Following their departure from Moorcroft - Richard and Sally formed Dennis Chinaworks.The pots are thrown and turned on the wheel. Colour is spun on the leather hard earthenware and decorated by incising and slip-trailing the designs. Further colour is added using underglazes and natural oxides, then the pots are finished with a clear glaze. From beginning to end each pot is the work of a single Decorator. Their signature joins the number, company name, date and throwers mark on the base.
Lladro Porcelain - History
In 1953 Juan, José and Vicente Lladró make their first creations inspired by an experimental vocation in a Moorish furnace built in their own home in Almàssera (Valencia) .
In 1958 Juan, José and Vicente decide to dedicate themselves exclusively to their own works and transfer their small company to a warehouse in the neighboring town of Tavernes Blanques, because the family workshop has become too small for their business. In 1962, the other milestone in the spectacular growth experienced by the company is the opening of a Professional Training School with the aim of conveying the experience and essence of the Lladró brothers' creative spirit.
In 1967 work begins on building the City of Porcelain, an area which combines factory and office buildings with leisure and sport facilities for the workers. This innovative complex is opened on October 13, 1969.
Bronte Porcelain was founded in 1996 by a committed group of artists, craftspeople and skilled technicians. Every item produced is made entirely by hand within their studio in Malvern, Worcestershire.
Portmeirion, Moorcroft, Lladro, NAO,Royal Crown Derby,Elliot Hall Enamels, Lladro
Moorcroft Pottery, Lladro, NAO, Royal Crown Derby,Bronte Porcelain, Moorcroft, Lladro,Portmeirion, Royal Crown Derby
Portmeirion,Lladro, Moorcroft, NAO, Royal Crown Derby,Dennis Chinaworks
Portmeirion,Moorcroft, Lladro, NAO, Royal Crown Derby,Royal Worcester, Spode
Spode, Royal Worcester, Dennis Chinaworks, Bronte'